Sitting around yesterday, Craig had the realization that we've been here in South Florida for almost a year now. Geez, time flies! Yes, next month will officially be a year for us. So, what I have I learned in the past year?
1) "Things" aren't all that important. You can accumulate them over the course of years, but they'll quickly liquidate into cash or donations to the Salvation Army in a matter of hours and days. All those trips to Pier 1? Not so neccessary for happiness.
2) I really LIKE my husband and spending time with him. I'm not talking about just sleeping in the same bed or passing each other in the evening, but really spending time together. We've had a chance to do quite a bit of that this year...and I like it.
3) There will be idiots in EVERY workplace. The company can be great, the product revolutionary, the potential for growth staggering, but idiots find there way into the smallest nooks and crannies of ANY company. I just have to deal with them and stop letting them interfere with my own happiness. On a similar note,
4) I can do some extraordinary things. Like run a half maraton. Or ask for a raise...and get it! This year was a big learning curve for me personally in realizing my worth and ability. My confidence had been waning a bit, so this was a good trial period for me to showcase that I CAN DO IT!
5) It's all about perspective. There have been times when I explain to people my situation (sold everything we own, moved halfway across the country, live in trailer, etc.) and they feel sorry for me. Then, I think about people who would give anything to have the security and comfort of my mansion of a trailer and it makes me feel selfish for not appreciating ALL that I have. I'm blessed. That's perspective for ya.
All in all, it's been a good year.
The last month put me through the ringer at work but in the end I've decided to stick with it for the near to mid term. I'm going to be challenged, but I'm going to get paid sales and management training, an assistant, and two pretty terrific mentors to help me out along the way. Not bad.
I wish we'd be able to travel more, but I need to pay off my credit card so we can start paying for a house (not cheap in Boca). Eventually, we're going to MAKE time and money to visit Jenn & Chris in Toronto...I promise!
As an aside, I'll be back in the Chicago/Milwaukee area July 19-22 on a business trip. If you're in the area, drop me a line about getting together.